ABFPRS to require office surgery accreditation
Surgeons seeking initial certification by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) will have to meet a new requirement, effective January 1, 2007: They must operate in an accredited facility when performing procedures using Level II anesthesia or above.
Under the new rule, if an applicant operates in a hospital or an ambulatory surgery center, he/she must document hospital privileges to practice facial plastic surgery or provide satisfactory explanation that lack of privileges is not related to adverse action by accredited institutions. If the applicant operates in an office setting that uses Level II anesthesia or above, he/she must document the facility’s accreditation by JTC, AAAHC, or another third-party entity qualified to issue such accreditation.
The new policy was adopted at the fall 2004 business meeting of the ABFPRS Board of Directors, which also reaffirmed its established requirements for ABFPRS certification. These include:
The ABFPRS was established in 1986 to improve the quality of medical treatment available to the public by examining for professional expertise in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. To date 1111 have sat for the ABFPRS examination and 817 have met all requirements for certification.
- Completion of an approved residency in one of the two surgical specialties that includes identifiable training in all aspects of facial plastic surgery (otolaryngology/head-and-neck surgery or plastic surgery);
- Earned prior certification in one of those specialties through the American Board of Medical Specialties or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada;
- Successful completion of a two-day examination;
- Submission for peer-review of an acceptable record of at least two years' clinical experience, including operative reports of a minimum 100 facial plastic surgeries; and
- Documentation of proper licensure and subscription to the ABFPRS Code of Ethics.
For more information, contact the ABFPRS office at 115-C South St. Asaph Street, Alexandria, VA 22314; phone 703-549-3223; email email@example.com