INTERNATIONAL BOARD FOR CERTIFICATION IN FACIAL PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY (IBCFPRS)
Surgeons who have been trained outside North America likely are not eligible for ABFPRS certification. However, they may be eligible for certification by the International Board for Certification in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (IBCFPRS). (The IBCFPRS program was formerly known as the United International Certification Program in Facial Plastic Surgery (UIC in FPS).
Today, if international specialists fulfill eligibility requirements, they may qualify to submit an application for the IBCFPRS Program, sponsored by the International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies (IFFPSS) and the national facial plastic surgery society in their country or geographic area of which they are a member.
To achieve international certification the surgeon must:
- Have completed an approved residency program in otolaryngology/head-and neck surgery or plastic surgery.
- Have earned prior certification by the National Examining Body in Otolaryngology/Head-and Neck Surgery or Plastic Surgery.
- Have been in practice a minimum of two years.
- Have 100 consecutive operative reports (in the area of facial plastic and reconstructive surgery) performed in a two-year period, accepted by a peer-review committee.
- Successfully pass a two-day written and oral examination in the specialty.
- Hold the appropriate licensure and adhere to the IFFPSS Code of Ethics.
The IFFPSS societies listed below support the IBCFPRS certification program. That program contracts with the ABFPRS to administer an exam to international candidates for certification.
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- ASEAN Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Canadian Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Colombian Society of Facial Plastic Surgery and Rhinology
- Ecuadorian Society of Rhinology and Facial Surgery
- European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Pan Asia Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Taiwan Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- The Brazilian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- The Mexican Society of Rhinology and Facial Surgery
- Venezuelan Society of Rhinology and Facial Plastic Surgery
For details regarding the IBCFPRS program sponsored by the IFFPSS, please contact these societies directly or click on the IFFPSS website: www.iffpss.org and go to About the IBCFPRS Program for IBCFPRS application materials and instructions. You may also download an application by going to the IBCFPRS website: www.ibcfprs.com
IFFPSS Fellows who take the examination as one of the requirements for completion of their fellowship year should also download the IFFPSS Fellowship Requirements handbook, available on the IFFPSS website: www.iffpss.org
To prepare for the exam, it is recommended that surgeons review the Examinee’s Guide to the Written and Oral Exams (PDF). In addition, they should download a copy of the ABFPRS Reading List (PDF), which is a bibliographic listing of topics covered by the prior year’s examination. . Surgeons may also take advantage of the Practice examinations, which are available by clicking the link at the top of this page.
Additional study materials and courses are available through the Educational and Research Foundation for the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. To access the AAFPRS Curriculum Compendium go to https://www.aafprs-learn.org/