Applying for ABFPRS Certification
To be eligible for certification, a surgeon must:
- Have completed a residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in one of the two medical specialties containing identifiable training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery: otolaryngology/head-and-neck surgery or plastic surgery.
- Have earned prior certification by the American Board of Otolaryngology, the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in otolaryngology/head-and-neck surgery or plastic surgery.
- Have been in practice a minimum of two years.
- Have 100 operative reports accepted by a peer-review committee.
- Successfully pass an 8-hour written and oral examination.
- Operate in an accredited facility.
- Hold the appropriate licensure and adhere to the ABFPRS Code of Ethics.