PREPARING FOR THE ABFPRS AND IBCFPRS WRITTEN AND ORAL EXAMINATIONS
The study tools listed below are suggestions to help prepare for the ABFPRS primary examination. These are not inclusive lists, by any means, but they have been utilized by surgeons who have taken the examination and have recommended them as effective preparatory tools. As is true for any certification examination, the best preparations for both the written and oral examinations are sound training, experience, and a strong commitment to learning, manifested in an extensive program of scholarship through professional training and development. In other words, there are no shortcuts.
SUGGESTED TEXT RESOURCES
The reading list from the ABFPRS 2022 exam. Some of these articles will be used to construct the 2023 exam.
Dr. Ira Papel’s textbook, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, has been sited often as a helpful study source. Although the ABFPRS does not have any copies on hand, the book can be purchased through Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
Additional study materials and courses are available through the Education and Research Foundation for the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. To access the AAFPRS Curriculum Compendium go to www.aafprs.org.
Additional references suggested by past examinees:
- Shan R. Baker, M.D. Local Flaps in Facial Reconstruction. Philadelphia: Saunders, 3rd edition, 2014.
- Shan R. Baker, M.D. Principles of Nasal Reconstruction, New York; Springer, 2nd edition, 2011.
- Mack L. Cheney, M.D. and Tessa A. Hadlock, M.D., (Eds) Facial Surgery: Plastic and Reconstructive. Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2015.
- Shaun C. Desai, M.D., Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Clinical Reference Guide. San Diego: Plural Publishing, 2016.
- Wayne F. Larrabee, Jr., M.D. and David A. Sherris, M.D. Principles of Facial Reconstruction. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc., 2nd edition, 2007.
- Peter J.F.M.Lohuis, M.D. Advanced Caucasian and Mediterranean Rhinoplasty. Amsterdam: Kugler Publications, 2014.
- Ira D. Papel, M.D. Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. New York: Thieme Medical Publisher, Inc., 3rd edition, 2010. (4th edition publication date February 2016)
- Dean M. Toriumi, M.D. and Daniel G. Becker, M.D. Rhinoplasty Dissection Manual. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1999.
- William H. Truswell, IV, M.D., (Ed.) Surgical Facial Rejuvenation: A Roadmap to Safe and Reliable Outcomes. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 2009.
- Brian J. Wong, M.D., Michelle G. Arnold, M.D., and Jacob O. Boeckmann, (Eds.) Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, A Comprehensive Study Guide. Switzerland: Springer International, 2016.
- JAMA articles
- Clinics of North America Articles
ABFPRS ON-LINE PRACTICE EXAMINATIONS
ABFPRS Practice exams. These self-assessment tools are designed to help surgeons appraise their strengths and deficits in specific areas of practice performance. Surgeons planning to participate in primary certification or maintenance of certification in facial plastic surgery examinations may also utilize these tools as a helpful resource for self-directed learning.Access Practice Exams